Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Crumbed Eggplant & Icecream at Bedtime


My Mum used to make us crumbed eggplant when we were kids.  It is amazingly delicious.  Crunchy crumb, soft semi salty centre.  YUM!  I used to make it quite often but it’s been a while.  I made some last weekend and it was delicious.  I thought I’d try my hand at a cauliflower puree too – they seem to be all the rage – and with some snow peas.  I must say, it was a cracking success!

I haven’t been putting an ingredients list in and thought it would be helpful as I like it when other people have one when I’m using their recipes so here it is:
To feed 4 people depending on the size of the eggplant and how hungry you are
1 large eggplant
Salt
3-4 cups fresh breadcrumbs (you can use packet ones but go the fresh ones, they make a HUGE difference.  I used frozen bread rolls that had been in our freezer so long I don’t remember buying them, so they were stale and frozen, I whizzed them up in the processor and they worked a treat.  Don’t go using good bread, use your scraps.  In fact, save your old crusts, etc. in a freezer bag and use them!)
1/2 -1 cup wholemeal flour
2 eggs
¼-½ cup milk
Salt and pepper
Half a head of cauliflower
2 cups vegetable stock
Good dollop of butter
Splash of milk
500 grams snow peas

Okay, so to start you need to salt the eggplant – don’t salt it for too long though or it will be salty and yuck.  You need to salt it to bring out the bitter juices.  So, cut it into 1cm rounds – if the rounds are large, cut them in half so they’re semi circles.  Then put them into a colander one layer at a time and sprinkle with salt, add another layer, salt, etc. then stand the colander on the sink and leave for about half an hour.  



While the eggplant salts you can get your crumbing ingredients ready, simply put your flour in one bowl, and your breadcrumbs in another then add the eggs and milk to another bowl and put in some salt and pepper or other spices that appeal like chilli.



Once the eggplant has been sitting there for a while you’ll notice some brownish liquid has escaped from it.  This is good.  These are the bitter juices.  Now you’ll need to rinse the eggplant, I like to rub each piece as I rinse it then pat it dry with a tea towel or paper towel.  I know it sounds like a lot of work, but TRUST ME, it is worth the deliciousness at the end!

Now, you’re ready to crumb.  This bit is a bit messy and quite fun.  Simply coat the eggplant in the flour – you do need to press it in a bit, then put it into the egg wash, then the crumb, again you need to pres the crumb in a bit.  You’ll need to do it one piece at a time to get it well covered, it’s a little time consuming but again – the yummy is worth it!

Now, once you’ve got a few pieces ready heat some oil in a large pan, about 5mm deep.  I use olive oil but an vegetable oil would do.  I wouldn’t use coconut oil as it would make the eggplant taste coconutty and I just don’t think it would work.  Now, once the oil is hot, gently put the eggplant slices in then turn down to a medium heat.  I cover the pan too, I find this way the eggplant absorbs a little less oil and cooks through well.  Keep crumbing your other slices while you start cooking the initial ones, you do need to do them in batches.  Check on them regularly and turn once they are brown and crispy looking.




While your eggplant is cooking, get started on your cauliflower.  I rinsed the cauliflower after chopping it into chunks, then brought the stock to a boil and put the cauli in.  Boil it until it is tender, then drain in a sieve/colander and put back into the pot, add the butter and a tiny bit of milk then use a hand mixer to blend – you could put it into a food processor or blender too but would probably have to cool it a bit first.  Mashing it might work too.  Once it is pureed, add some salt and pepper to taste then keep in the pot so that you can reheat it easily once you’re ready to serve.




Once the eggplant has cooked on both sides, place it on paper towel so that some of the oil can be drained off.

When your eggplant is *almost* ready, put a pot of water on and blanch the snow peas.  Serve the eggplant on top of the puree with the veg on the side.  So yummy.




Vego Sausage liked the puree but preferred an apple to anything else – Vego Papa and I weren’t worried though, it meant more for us!!

It was also a night where Vego Sausage wasn’t that keen on sleeping when she normally sleeps, so we thought, well, if she’s not sleeping, we might as well eat ice cream cones.  They were good.  We shared!




Sorry I’ve been lax with my posts, I promise there will be more vego goodness heading your way soon.  And some more tales of toddlerhood too!  Things have been very busy in Vego Manor and finding the time to sit and type out a post is rare.  Getting photos off the camera is hard too with an almost two year old who is SO HELPFUL!  And I don’t want to post recipes without photos, it’s like having chips without salt – wrong!

Well, time for bed for this Mumma.

Much love Vego Friends!  Until next time x



No comments:

Post a Comment